Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snow Day?

I just love winter weather! Living in the south, we don't get a lot of snow but when we do, it is so exciting! If you go to the grocery store, you will find everyone buying milk and bread...now I have always wondered why milk & bread? Bread pudding maybe? Milk sandwiches? Even though I don't eat bread and I don't drink milk, it is hard for me not to run to the store and stock up just because everyone else is doing that. Today the forecast is for rain changing to snow with accumulations around 3 inches. Now, that means no driving....southerners can't drive in the snow:) The ladies will have their husbands drive them if they must get out. Don't you just love the chivalry? We have to make sure that our men know that we need them to take care of us! Sometimes I like playing the "damsel in distress" --- it makes me feel special when my man takes care of me. A feminist, I am not! But other times, my independent side kicks in and I want to show him that I am capable of taking care of myself. That little attitude usually backfires on me though....the next time I want him to do something for me, he will remind me that I have done it for myself before. That is what happens when I don't ask God for His help also. When I try to do things on my own, I usually mess them up. I stick my foot in my mouth or tear someone down with my words or my actions. It is hard to remember that the Spirit is living within me and that all I have to do is to call upon Him for strength, wisdom, mercy, or whatever the situation calls for. The thing with God is that, unlike us humans with our weaknesses and sinful nature, He doesn't remind us that we messed up before...He removes our transgressions as far as the east is from the west--Praise God!! His mercy is new every morning!
I am just loving "90 Days with the One and Only" by Beth Moore (my favorite siesta!) Each day is as though it was written just for me. Today was about the disciples inability to cast out demons, how when Jesus, Peter, John, and James were gone to the mountain and the disciples were left alone, they forgot the power that Jesus had given them. (Mark 9:14-18) It was like they had to have reinforcements there to be able to function. That reminded me of how much I ride the coattails of others that I have deemed more spiritual than me. It reminded me that in my weakness, He is strong. I know that I need to rely on Him and not myself, but my little independent side wants to be in control! Imagine that!!
I am going to enjoy this wonderful Saturday staying home and waiting and watching for the snow!

No comments: